As head of the firm’s Real Estate/Finance department, John Stewart devotes the majority of his time to commercial real estate transactions. He has experience dealing with sophisticated real estate transactions of most types, including the acquisition, sale and financing of hotels, shopping centers, office buildings, apartment complexes, residential developments and undeveloped land.
John has experience representing both lenders and borrowers in real estate financing transactions for the acquisition of improved real estate, as well as during troubled times when workouts and loan modifications are necessary. For example, John and his team represented the purchaser in connection with the sale contract and closing of a major, multi-million dollar office building, including the financing documents that were prepared and then substantially negotiated within one week before closing.
John has represented the purchaser, developer and seller in numerous transactions involving the acquisition of unimproved land, the negotiation and documentation of utility contracts and development restrictions, and the sale of the developed property to other users and developers.
In the energy industry, John and his team have represented a major refiner in the acquisition of a large refinery, sulfur plant and terminal in California and the numerous pipelines and other real estate issues related to its operation. John represented a petroleum refiner and marketer in the negotiation of a long-term sublease to an international oil and gas exploration company of multiple floors within the client’s corporate headquarters complex. The negotiations included agreements with the building owner, and the sublease addressed the parties’ shared use of critical infrastructure elements and the sublessee’s multiple expansion rights.
John also assisted a client in several related 2011 transactions involving in excess of $400,000,000, including the purchase of over 60 gas stations in the central and south Texas market, the sale of over 65 gas station sites, the long term lease for the same 65 gas station sites, and the related agreements with the client’s lenders.
John is board certified in commercial real estate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- American Bar Association
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Real Estate Council of San Antonio
- San Antonio Real Estate Discussion Group
- State Bar of Texas, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rating
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America®, 2001-2014
- SA Scene, "San Antonio's Best Lawyers," 2005-2011, 2014
- "Texas Super Lawyer," in Real Estate Law, Texas Monthly, 2014
- Selected for inclusion as a "Texas Super Lawyer", Law and Politics Magazine, 2003-2011, 2013
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®, "Lawyer of the Year," 2009
- Selected for inclusion as a "Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer", Law and Politics Magazine, 2009
- Member, Texas Law Review, 1978-1979
Related PracticesReal Estate
|Board Certified in Commercial Law and Residential Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization|
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with high honors, Order of the Coif, 1979
- St. Mary's University, B.S., summa cum laude, 1976
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, 1982
- Arizona, 1979