For nearly 30 years, Mary Potter has advised clients on the full range of employee benefits matters – including counseling, transactional support, and drafting in connection with private and governmental qualified retirement plans, retirement plans of tax-exempt organizations, ESOPs, nonqualified plans and arrangements, qualified domestic relations orders, and opinion letters. She also counsels clients about the labor and bankruptcy law aspects of employee benefits, related federal and state tax issues of benefit plans, other state and federal regulatory issues, fiduciary issues, ERISA litigation, and other compensation, benefits, and ERISA matters. Her clients include taxable and non-taxable employers, governmental entities, electrical systems, financial institutions, construction and contracting companies, and hospital systems.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- American Bar Association, Section of Taxation, Employee Benefits Committee; EEOC Issues/FMLA, Military and Other Leaves Subcommittee Vice-Chair (2008–2010); member, ESOP Subcommittee
- ESOP Association
- National Center for Employee Ownership
- Texas Association of Public Pension Attorneys
- San Antonio Youth Literary, Board Member (2013– )
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV® PreeminentTM Peer Review Rating
- Named "San Antonio Best Lawyers Employee Benefits Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers®, 2011
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers In America®, 1995-2015
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers' "Texas Best Lawyers" 2013
- SA Scene, "San Antonio's Best Lawyers," 2007, 2009 and 2011, 2014
- St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., with distinction, Harlan Society, 1981
- University of Rochester, M.A.
- Marietta College, B.A., cum laude